Ref NoP120/1/1/7
DescriptionSet of index cards describing physical and historical features in Ballynahinch [Baile na hInse]. A note recounts that horse races used to take place in the townland. An overview of the ownership of Ballinahinch Castle from 1754 is included, from the Martin family, to the Berridge family, the Indian cricketer Ranji Singhi, Dublin ship owning family the MacCormacks, the Irish Tourist Board, to Noel Huggard, who owned Ashford Castle. Some history of the construction of the castle is also provided. Local features in Ballynahinch that are described are St. Fechin's Well, Ballynahinch Fishery, the Carmelite monastery, the stables by the lake, the Piper's Cliff, the church lake and field, the hydroelectric plant, Gate Lodges, Bew island, Ballynahinch Bar, and the Black Gate. Also included is information about the 1849 auction of the Martin's land, as well as information about the Berridge Family and Ranji Singhi. Credited with providing information are N P Wilkins, Val O'Halloran, Phyllis O'Donoghue and her mother, Des Lally, Festy Nee and Gerry Nee. Sources credited include 'Letters from the West of Ireland', the 'Irish Farmers Gazette', and the Irish Architectural Archive.
Related MaterialP120/3/3/9/2/5


    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024