Ref NoLE13/1
TitleDeeds
DescriptionThe first part of this collection is comprised of deeds relating to various transactions made by members of the Daly family between themselves and with others. There are deeds of lease, release, conveyance, mortgage, appointment, assignment and settlement. There are also disentailing deeds, grants of annuity and a grant of the administration of a will. Many of the deeds are numbered and the numbers on pre 1871 deeds correspond to the schedule of deeds prepared in connection with a loan from the Representative Church Body [LE13/ 30 & /31]. All the deeds are parchment documents unless paper is specified. The firm of R and E Livesay, solicitors, was the main legal representative of the Daly of Dunsandle family in the first half of the 19th century. R Meade and Son replaced them in the 1850s. This firm of solicitors and its successors represented the Dalys' interests until the 1950s.
Many of these deeds record transactions which involved the mortgage of the Daly estates to secure loans. James Daly inherited the estates of Kilconnell and Lismore after the death of his cousin Anthony Daly of Lismore in 1810 [LE13/5 & /12]. In 1831 he borrowed £42,000 from the Alliance Insurance Co to help pay off the encumbrances on his estates [LE13/9 & /13]. By 1841 the Daly estates were still heavily encumbered, as can be seen from schedules of charges and encumbrances included with a draft mortgage of 11 Oct 1841 [LE13/20]. In September 1846 the younger children of James Lord Dunsandle postponed their entitlements to shares in a sum of £20,000, to secure a mortgage of £120,000, charged on the Dunsandle, Lismore and other estates. Denis Lord Dunsandle borrowed a further £100,000 from the Representative Church Body in 1871, just after the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland. The two sons and successors of Denis Lord. Dunsandle borrowed another £20,000 in 1894 from the Standard Life Assurance Co. This sum was repaid in May 1905 [LE13/43].
Small plots of land were leased to John Dennis, Bermingham House, Tuam, and to three Bishops of Clonfert in the early 1860s and 45 acres of Carrownea were leased to the Hogan family of Kilconnell in 1898. Plots of land in Kilconnell were sold to Denis Lord Dunsandle and Francis Swift, schoolmaster, in the 1870s and the Mitchell family sold their interest in lands at Attimonmore and Brackloon to William Daly in 1905. Marriage settlements record the provision Denis Lord Dunsandle made for his daughters and there are many genealogical details about the Daly family of Clooncah, contained in a deed of assignment dated 30 Dec 1854 [LE13/25].
Date1751-1912
Extent50 items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024