Description | The first recorded Apothecary at St Bartholomew's Hospital was William Weston in 1571. He supplied drugs out of his own salary of £21 per year. A new Apothecaries Shop was built in 1818. In 1847 the role of the Apothecary was considerably revised, when it was agreed that they should attend the physicians on their round if required, visit patients in the wards each morning and night and attend casualties. Frederick Wood, appointed in 1847, was the last Apothecary to the Hospital, retiring in 1868. The post was then abolished, and the duties divided between the House Physicians and the new post of Head Dispenser, who took over all pharmaceutical duties. The Dispenser's premises continued to be known as the 'Apothecary's Shop' until 1906, when it was rebuilt and the name changed to the Dispensary. The title of Head Dispenser was changed to Pharmacist in 1927, but the Dispensary did not become known as the Pharmacy until about 1967. |